Choosing the Right Props for Your Next Photo Session
Updated: Nov 24, 2020
Have you ever thought about adding props to your photo sessions? Props can add interest,
depth and an extra flair to your pictures. Grab hold of some coordinating flowers for
a spring or summer shoot. Love sports? Then use baseball bats in your next photo to
bring out your passion. Here are a few tips for ways to incorporate props in your next photo
1. Avoid trends. While you might have recently seen a few photos that incorporate a
specific prop, try not to use something that will not look really dated in 20 years’
time. Classic is definitely better and there are many fun options to choose from.
2. Be realistic. It’s easy to go wild when thinking of a theme for your photo session.
You should decide on one that you can actually find props for. For example, if you
want to use seasonal props, try and source them in that season as they’ll be easier to
find and before you decide to remake your favorite movie scene, think twice about
whether you’ll be able to find suitable outfits for everyone in the photo.
3. Size matters. There are some larger props that work really well in photo sessions
such as using your grandpa's farm tractor as a background piece. However, there
are some larger props that can take away from the beauty of the photograph
altogether. Make sure that your prop enhances the photo and doesn't detract from
4. Make it meaningful. If your child has a favorite stuffed animal or if you have a
musical instrument that you treasure, try and incorporate it into your photos. This
way your pictures will have more meaning to you and your family.
5. Use what you have. Make the current season work to your advantage by using
what’s available. Leaves in the fall make for amazing props in photos and don’t cost
Remember, using props can be the perfect addition to your photos but make sure that they
don’t become the main focus.